Deep Down South, still etched in my heart......
Just while watching the pictures on facebook of the
book launch of Preeti Shenoy’s new novel at Landmark, Forum Mall, Bangalore-mesmerized
by it all yet again.
Wished to be there- when I had first read about
the invitation, I felt so excited- to really wish to be there, completely
forgotten that am thousands of kilometers away from Landmark...
Yet in my mind- I travelled through that corner
where I stayed, the long roads, trees and PG’s around- and all the young
masses.
Passing by the juice shop, the lil’ library, the
corn cob seller...looking at the bright lights of CCD above and turning right ...the
main road and awaiting to cross in midst of such heavy traffic.
Then a long walk straight..and then a busy street
to cross over again...then comes forum, and just when I stepped in- I always use
to be craving for being at Landmark as soon as I can...the pleasure that
puzzles me- the contentment I find in midst of books...Landmark was the biggest
ever book shop I had been to- and more so it had enormous collection of things-
other than just books- magazines, stationery, toys, movies, shows, crafts et
al- you think of it, they have it...
Landmark use to be a dream place-- one of its
kind I wish to own someday...
walking and eating the boiled corn cob and peanuts from the road side vendors,
the juice shop – the lady who makes it all fresh- without even a hint of water or sugar- just the natural taste of the fruit- I loved the red grapes one!,
the food restaurant, outside which we use to meet- Swadisht Aahar,
the systematic division into ‘Mains’ and ‘Cross’,
the surprise downpours and learning to carry an umbrella all the times,
the daily needs store- and exploring its aisles,
that mysteriously huge crowd at the ‘ginger tea’ shop....
the green vegge sellers on the roads- with coriander, kari patta, and a variety of other greeennss...
..the flower sellers!! never bought but clicked pictures at times..
the south indian thick rice, idli sambhar, rasam, curd rice, the yummy chaney at our PG- all the authentic flavours!
huge techno parks, taking you all the way to some foreign lands...and the renowned places- HAL, ISRO, Isckon Temple...
and at times.....in the city of unknowns a good gut feeling when seeing a few familiar face....
With the Google Map, to explore the unknowns...it seldom
felt fearful then...
...but that one rainy night when it rained all
around the city- I was returning back from the place near freedom park after
appearing for the CAT exam,
and I felt like being lost- followed up the instructions too well and kept the
cell phone back home...unknown of what I might face in the following hours...it
rained unstoppably since 6pm...water clogged roads and being in that area for
the first time unsure of the route to follow- it was getting dark- and to
whomever I asked the way they all directed me towards some different direction,
swirling around the same roads up and down saving the flame of hope to blow off
from the problem pouring down from the sky....asking and asking—walking and
walking—boarding/ de boarding the bus and walking with the water filled shoes- that was the
test of time- alone away in the city so unknown- imagining every good moment I had
or I wished to have- every person I felt safe with- the harness of hope I hold
on tight...
...the purple umbrella on my head- and walked to
the ‘Richmond Circle’....after about an hour- I found it- the moment of
victory- that burnt another flame- of freedom....!
(...but I think in an hibernating state since am
back home....)
and the water soaked feet......>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
and the water soaked feet......>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
..carrying with me the memories- glimpses- and experiences from the past..............
and Kerala vacation,
still retaining the Kochi Konnection. . . .
Comments
Post a Comment